Thursday, September 21, 2006

Now I'm Old and Bored


It was my birthday yesterday. I didn’t make a big deal of it though. I had a lot of work to do and it just reminded me that I had less time to do it, so I sort of brushed it off as a non-event. L-dimples got us a nice bottle of wine though, and ordered in a fancy dinner, and bought me three different cupcakes and put a candle in the middle and sung me the happy birthday song. It was actually a stick, because she couldn’t find the candles. I thought that was a crafty substitution and it worked just the same. I made a wish and blew out the flame. Happy birthday to me. Yay.

It’s not to say I don’t celebrate my birthday, because there is documentation that proves I do [in the form of stains and scars and embarrassing memories], but I couldn’t get into it this year. It just wasn’t in me. Instead I worked. I worked hard. I worked as if nothing else could satisfy me. I answered my phone and said thanks when some one sent well wishes, but to a large degree I just stayed in a cocoon of duties, making myself too busy for any lengthy exchange. It was very anti-social, I’ll admit, but I like I said, I just wasn’t up for it.

Besides, I celebrate just about everything. Hell, I’ll celebrate nothing at all. I’ll celebrate celebrating, just for the sake of celebration. I don’t have to have much reason. It’s all the same anyway. Another raised drink. Another late morning. Another puddle of blood and vomit to clean up.

Just kidding. There usually isn’t any blood, unless, of course, there’s whores and shit involved. If there is shit anywhere, you can bet there is probably some blood around too, but if there are whores coupled with shit? Forget about it, just grab the mop. Hey, don’t get grossed out by me, its the nature of the party. I don’t make the rules I just follow and then clean up after them.

Anyway, so i'm a year older now. One more down. I told this girl in class yesterday [yeah, I had to go to school on my birthday, this is how the year begins], that I was now 31 years old and flat broke. She said back to me, 'well, I'm 36 years old and flat broke,' and I told her that wasn’t reassuring.

If you can guess what song the lyric that titles this post is from then you win a prize. Bonus points if you can complete it.*

*disclaimer: you do not actually get anything for guessing. though if you really want, i guess you can pat yourself on the back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Creative Commons License
:gray matters: by jkg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at downtownalleys.blogspot.com.